These vapors may ignite by a small spark generated by the pilot light on the furnace or hot water heater. Flammable liquids give off vapors that are heavier than air. If they must be stored in the basement, keep suitable clearance (at least three feet) around appliances such as the furnace or hot water heater
Ensure that they are stored in approved closed containers and kept away from heat, sparks and open flames. This includes not smoking cigarettes nearby. Preferably, store flammable liquids outside in a shed.
An excessive amount of combustible materials will fuel a fire. Keep the amount of storage to a minimum by cleaning once a year or having a garage sale. Lawn mowers, snowblowers, and propane cylinders should never be stored indoors because they contain flammable liquids that release vapors heavier than air and present a serious fire hazard
Over-fused electrical boxes are serious fire hazards. This can cause the cord to overheat and ignite. Ensure that all fixtures are properly secured. When a fuse blows, either the wiring or some electrical device connected to the circuit is defective or there are too many connected appliances, causing overloading.
By passing of circuit fuses creates an extreme fire hazard. Wires are to be properly insulated from each other and junction boxes should be covered Never use extension cords for items that need a permanent supply of electricity such as air conditioners, refrigerators, and freezers.
Do not allow children to play in the basement if it is used for storage. Avoid storing matches and lighters in the basement and, if possible, store them in a locked box and out of the reach of children.