The damage will result to a large amount of loss and an extensive flood damage cleanup activity. The kitchen houses several electrical appliances, food, cooking and eating utensils, and storage places or containers.
To help you, here is a list of the best flood damage cleanup tips:
1. Safety first. Before anything else, you should keep in mind a few safety tips. Be sure that you protect yourself from bacteria and mold by wearing the proper clothing. Wear a pair of gloves, goggles and a respirator. The latter will avoid inhalation of any air borne bacteria and suffocation when you use disinfectants. Keeping the kitchen well ventilated will also avoid suffocation and slow down any mold growth. Lastly, ensure that you have your whole electrical system and gas lines checked by a professional before using any electrically powered flood damage cleanup tools.
2. Plan a procedure for your flood damage cleanup. Determine which part of the kitchen will need to be cleaned and disinfected first so that you won’t have to clean an area twice. The floor should be disinfected last but it should be temporarily cleared of any mud and dried to protect you from slipping. The walls need to be washed and disinfected first, along with cupboards, countertops and drawers.
3. Have all electrical appliances checked by a licensed electrician. Usually, flood damage cleanup services offer this type of consultation. Avoid testing electrically powered appliances unless you are highly capable of doing so. Electrical shock, which may jeopardize your house or your safety, can be a consequence.
4. Disinfect all utensils including those that were not submerged in flood. China, glass and plastic utensils can be cleaned by dipping them in a solution of bleach and water for at least ten minutes. On the other hand, pots, pans and silverware need to be washed and dipped in boiling water for ten minutes. Air dry everything that have been washed and disinfected.
5. Throw away unsalvageable food. The general rule is to throw away any food stored in a non-airtight container. Canned foods can sometimes be saved as long as no leaks and rust are present. Usually, salvageable canned/stored goods should not have been submerged in the flood and the exterior be completely disinfected. Never use disinfectants with cans or metals.
A kitchen cleanup following a flood can be very tiring and time consuming. Yet, this can be done as long as you follow safety precautions and plan the procedure systematically. But if you think you will be incapable of the task, it will be best to contact a professional flood damage cleanup services. When you do, ask for credentials, list of services covered by the contract and the rationality of the costs.