What is humidifier?
A humidifier is a device that raises the moisture level in the air. It lowers the static electricity in the home, thereby minimizing the chances of getting an electric shock. Maintaining a humidity level in the range of 30 to 50% will ensure comfort and health for your family. Humidifiers easily achieves this optimum level of humidity.
How does humidifier work?
The basic principle used by all the humidifiers is holding the water in the tank and spraying it in the air electronically. Cool mist humidifiers or evaporative humidifiers use a fan that blows water through a filter. This water evaporates, raising the humidity levels. Warm mist humidifiers first heat the water and then dispenses it in the air.
How should I decide between cool and warm mist humidifiers?
You can make this decision based on your personal preference. Warm mist humidifiers are comparatively quiet. It also serves the purpose of dispensing inhaled medicines. You do not need filters as the bacteria are killed when heated. Warm mist humidifiers consume more energy because it has to heat the water. You run the risk of scalding if you are careless while handling the warm mist humidifier. If you live in a warm climate, it makes your air warmer.
What are the types of humidifiers?
There are many types of humidifiers based on size, water storage capacity and affected area. Tabletop humidifiers, or room humidifiers are meant for one room and hence are small in size. They are either cool mist or warm mist. Console units are large and hence can humidify many rooms. So you need to check the area covered to decide if it is right for you. They are cool mist. Furnace humidifiers are located in the furnace ducts and can affect the whole house. Though they seem more expensive in the beginning, the expenses incurred on their maintenance are negligible, thus saving your money in the long run.
How do I use humidifier regularly?
Clean and disinfect the humidifier frequently. Replace or clean the filter according to manufacturers instructions. If you do not follow the instructions, there would be growth of mold, mildew and bacteria, thus worsening the problem. Low humidity can dry out the nasal passage while high humidity is conducive to the growth of bacteria and mold. Maintain the humidistat properly, which in turn will regulate the humidity of the home.